Can You Join the Military to Become a U.S. Citizen?

Anyone that serves in the United States military during wartime should be granted assistance with becoming a naturalized citizen. The one criteria that must be met is that you are serving with honor, and that you have had only an honorable discharge. Those that have visas or green cards are permitted to serve in the U.S. armed forces. These requirements only apply to those that have served on or before September 2001. There is currently an act known as the DREAM ACT that is being considered to help more individuals become U.S. citizens if they choose to serve our country.

Qualifications for Citizenship

Immigrants generally must wait for 3 years with a green card or visa to become a citizen of the United States. Those that serve in the military are the exception. This exception also allows these individuals to become citizens regardless of whether or not they are being deported or they have been ordered to be removed. Service members must meet all other requirements that pertain to becoming a citizen of the United States. Service must be for at least one year in the United States military and the form N-426 must be filed as well to get the process underway. Additionally, those that serve will be able to get their spouses approved quicker as well if deployment is a threat.

Exceptions on Citizenship for Military Members

If you are attempting to become a naturalized citizen and you have been discharged from the military without honors then you will not be able to get your citizenship approved. This is the exception in which the process is revoked. There are numerous laws regarding citizenship and naturalization for members of the military. If you have more questions or you need assistance with this process you should contact an immigration lawyer as soon as possible.

Get your case started now...
We have received your request! A member of our team will be in touch shortly!